Sunday, January 01, 2006

overcomplicated!

WHEN I heard the learn'd astronomer,
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me,
When I was shown the charts and diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them,
When I sitting heard the astronomer where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,
How soon unaccountable I became tired and sick,
Till rising and gliding out I wander'd off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Look'd up in perfect silence at the stars.
-Walt Whitman
I really like this poem, or prose, whatever you call it, because it really makes a statement of how we always make everything too specific or complicated. It seems like we always have to ask questions (or, in the case of students, answer them) and come up with long complicated explanations of everything. can we not just accept things how they are? I would go into further detail about this and really analyze it, but that seems to defeat my purpose.

No comments: